Product Safety & EMC Laboratory Test Technician
Amazon Robotics is seeking a Product Safety & EMC Laboratory Test Technician to fill a position having an emphasis on performing in-house accredited regulatory compliance laboratory testing. This position will support compliance engineering laboratory operations related to new and existing products. The ideal candidate will be a highly organized team player, with excellent communication and computer skills, and be able to follow directions accurately, and work well independently. The candidate will have a strong understanding of regulatory compliance schemes, and the process required to specify, test, qualify, document, and maintain certifications related to Product Safety and Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) compliance for domestic and international markets; and places a high value on accuracy/precision, is a good multi-tasker, follows directions well, effectively communicates status, and consistently exercises good judgement. The candidate must have an adequate level of electronics technical training, sufficient to understand the principles and hazards present with high voltages, radio-frequency and magnetic fields, industrial control panels, and stationary as well as mobile robotic products, as well as to operate a wide-range of laboratory test equipment. Prior familiarity with regulatory compliance regulations and testing is a must.
Position may be located in Westborough or North Reading, but the candidate may be called to work at either site depending upon the project (a shuttle bus exists). Second shift work may be necessary at times.
Operate and maintain laboratory equipment for the purposes of conducting testing for Hi-Pot/Dielectric-Withstand Strength, Insulation Resistance, Ground-Bond, Earth-Continuity, Leakage/Touch Current, component Heating/Temperature Tests, Input Power Ratings, Motor Locked-Rotor, Motor-Overload, Horizontal Surface Loading, Handle-Pull, Cable Strain Relief, Impact and Accessibility Tests, Sharp Edge, Creepage & Clearance, Residual Voltage, Drop Test, Tip Test, Marking Durability, Safety Critical Components, Constructional Data Forms, user manual and labelling reviews for Product Safety, Radiated Emissions, Conducted Emissions, Click Rate, Electrostatic Discharge (ESD), Radiated Immunity, Electrical Fast-Transient Burst, Lightning Surge, Conducted Immunity, Magnetic Fields, Voltage Dips and Interrupts, Flicker, Harmonics, and a long list of other electrical and mechanical tests related to Product Safety and EMC compliance; and,
- Control various product’s test samples, sometimes modifying them as required.
- Coordinate equipment calibration, and assist in the procurement process.
- Assist in daily laboratory operations and maintenance.
- Maintain all tools and equipment, and recommend new as needed.
- Maintain laboratory cleanliness, organization, and safety at all times.
- Arrange shipping and sample control and support testing at external test labs as required.
- Adhere to all laboratory procedures and accreditation requirements.
- Create test reports.
- Assist in authoring new test procedures.
· Associate’s Degree in Electrical or Electronics Engineering or Technology, technical school certification, or related military training in electronics; and,
· 5+ years of experience as an electronics, Product Safety or EMC Engineer/Technician.
· Experience in performing Product Safety testing, and compiling those test reports.
· Ability to provide input to, and adhere to, project scheduling needs.
· Ability to follow various test procedures and, as needed, offer suggestions for improvements to those procedures or the equipment or methods used.
· Understand the principles of, and perform, electrical, mechanical, and high-voltage testing to domestic and international Product Safety and EMC standards.
· Experience in writing, amending, and filing Product Safety/EMC test reports
· Experience in designing and building of custom cables and special test fixtures for making laboratory tests easier, quicker, more repeatable, and safer.
· Prior familiarity working in an ISO17025 accredited laboratory.
· Bachelors’ Degree in Electrical or Electronics Engineering or Technology.
· Prior familiarity interpreting Product Safety / regulatory compliance standards.
· Prior familiarity with operating and/or programming TILE automated EMC software.
· Experience in performing NSA, sVSWR, and Field Uniformity testing is a plus.
· Experience performing Intentional Radiator test and/or certification is a plus.
· Experience in Measurement Uncertainty is a plus.
· Experience with EMCWARE software is a plus.
· Ability to lift 40lbs is a plus.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.