National Security and International Affairs Summer 2023 Intern
The Institute of World Politics is one of the few graduate schools that offers an internship program designed specifically to prepare you for a career in national security, intelligence, and international affairs. Interns conduct research with IWP scholar-practitioners and explore career opportunities in these fields. Based in the heart of Washington, D.C., interns gain the advantage of networking with top policymakers and government officials, including IWP’s faculty.
The application deadline for Summer 2023 is March 12, 2023.
Internship Program Overview:
1) Mentorship with an IWP professor, focusing on a shared research project on national security, human rights, cyber intelligence, and/or global affairs (interns are paired with a scholar-practitioner who matches their interests).
2) A free audit of an IWP course – if you choose to take it for credit, it can count toward an IWP M.A. program if you return.
3) Private tours of the Pentagon, State Department, FBI Headquarters, and Capitol Building, led by IWP alumni who work for these organizations.
4) Access to all IWP guest lectures and events, including informational career sessions by organizations that may include: State Department, CIA, FBI, DIA, Department of Energy, National Counter Terrorism Center, and USAID.
5) Students work 4-8 hours (outside of the research projects) at IWP to learn about events and communications within the international affairs/national security sphere.