Northrop Grumman Aeronautics Systems has openings for Airworthiness Engineers to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals in our Airworthiness organization. This role is located in Melbourne, FL.
In this role, you will perform a development of basis of certification, determine methods of compliance, and compliance verification. Achieves the logical and systematic realization of customer airworthiness compliance (MIL-HDBK-516, civil, and international standards) into system solutions to meet program objectives (e.g., flight releases, type certification, continued airworthiness, and operational or airspace integration). Reviews and coordinates with other Airworthiness Engineers, as well as with internal engineering disciplines at all levels of the air system to include: design, fabrication, test, installation, operation, maintenance, and disposal. Reviews functional analysis, timeline analysis, detail trade studies, requirements allocation, interface definition, hardware, and software specifications for airworthiness compliance to the appropriate regulations, standards, and/or guidelines. Manages airworthiness activities throughout the development, sustainment, and disposal lifecycles. The candidate must have excellent communication, interpersonal skills, and the ability to interface with all levels of employees and management.
- Completed Bachelor’s Degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM) discipline and 2 years of engineering experience OR Master’s Degree in a STEM discipline.
- Design and Systems Engineering experience in one or more of the following areas: Structures, Flight Technology, Propulsion, Crew Systems, and Flight Test.
- Familiarity with MIL-HDBK-516.
- Military aircraft development or modification experience.
- Must have an active DoD Secret (or higher) clearance.
- Must have the ability to obtain and maintain Special Access Program (SAP) clearance. This SAP must be obtained within a reasonable amount of time as determined by the company to meet its business needs.
- Master’s Degree in a STEM discipline.
- Demonstrated experience in manned or unmanned aircraft systems with technical airworthiness planning and verification support including development and negotiation of airworthiness plans, basis of certifications, means of compliance, and certification activities.
- Familiarity with ECS, Fuel, or Power and Wiring.
- Experience with DoD, military, and/or civil airworthiness experience.
- Ability to initiate airworthiness certification process improvement initiatives.
- Experience with one or more of the following: MIL-STDs-1797, 810, 1530, 3013, 882E, 1796.
- Familiarity with USAF Airworthiness Policy Directives, Instructions, Airworthiness Bulletins, System Safety Risk Assessments, program risks, and hazard analyses.