Controller (Remote Pilot In Command)
Do you want to change the world? Zipline is on a mission to transform the way goods move. Our aim is to solve the world’s most urgent and complex access challenges by building, manufacturing and operating the first instant delivery and logistics system that serves all humans equally, wherever they are. From powering Rwanda’s national blood delivery network and Ghana’s COVID-19 vaccine distribution, to providing on-demand home delivery for Walmart, to enabling healthcare providers to bring care directly to U.S. homes, we are transforming the way things move for businesses, governments and consumers. The technology is complex but the idea is simple: a teleportation service that delivers what you need, when you need it. Through our technology that includes robotics and autonomy, we are decarbonizing delivery, decreasing road congestion, and reducing fossil fuel consumption and air pollution, while providing equitable access to billions of people and building a more resilient global supply chain.
Join Zipline and help us to make good on our promise to build an equitable and more resilient global supply chain for billions of people.
About You and The Role
Does taking command of one of the first commercial delivery drones in the United States sound exciting to you? How about joining a team of dedicated, detail-oriented operators striving to be the best in the business?
The Flight Operations team at Zipline is growing, and we’re looking for individuals with sound judgment, excellent interpersonal skills, and exceptionally high standards. Success will require a process-minded approach on every flight, safety-oriented attitude, flexibility, and enthusiasm for using cutting-edge technology to help others.
What You'll Do
- Upon successful completion of our FAA-approved training program (~3-4 weeks in NC), you’ll receive a Zipline controller (RPIC) certification and join the flight crew to conduct live part 135 delivery operations
- As a controller, you are responsible for the safe and compliant execution of each flight, which includes but not limited to:
- Conducting all pre-shift / preflight planning and briefings to include weather and airspace information)
- Initiation, monitoring, diversion, and termination of a flight in compliance with all documented policies, procedures and OpSpecs, including the issuance of commands to a Zip when appropriate
- Managing Zip traffic departing from, and arriving at the Nest
- Coordinating with Visual Observers, as required
- Maintain full authority for the safe and efficient conduct of flight operations.
- Based on the needs of your facility, you may also receive training and certification to conduct loading, preflight inspection, launch, and recovery phases of flight
- Participate in monthly safety meetings, emergency drills, and recurrent training
- Other duties as assigned by the flight operations lead
What You'll Bring
- Must have an FAA Remote Pilot Certificate (RPC)
- 1+ years working in the UAS space
- Some experience in a manned aviation organization
- Possess a current third-class medical
- A positive attitude, driven to solve problems and support teammates
- Must be able to travel as necessary
- Must be eligible to work in the US
- Must be able to pass a background and pre-employment drug and alcohol test. Random drug and alcohol testing is ongoing after initial employment.
What Else You Need to Know
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship, or other characteristics protected by state, federal or local law or our other policies.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!